Thread: Darryl Kile: Seven Years

Hall of Fame Full Member STL FANATIC's Avatar

Default Darryl Kile: Seven Years

Every year when I see the Jack Buck "X years since" topics and lines, there's always that little extra tug at my heart, because I know a few days later we'll be remembering (a little more than the rest of the year) DK.

Well, today is that day. On June 22nd, Darryl Kile left us to join the greats upstairs. It's a day I'll never forget, in a way I don't want to.

What a warrior he was, and what a year that team had in tribute to he and Jack. If only it had gone just a little bit further.

I'll just share my favorite memory of DK. It's somewhat non-specific as I don't recall the day, the year, the opponent, the score, the inning, or any of that.

What I do recall is that DK took the ball for the Cardinals this fifth day, as he always did. Whatever the inning or the situation, a line drive was hit by the batter, striking Kile in the head or face (I believe). Kile dropped to his knees immediately, but momentarily shook it off, found and crawled to the ball, threw the batter out from his knees. Then, only after he had done his job for the team, did collapse back down and allow the pain to effect him.

He was the ultimate teammate and the ultimate warrior.
    Official SLSF sponsor of Yadier "The Cannon" Molina & Jason "Lash" LaRue

Administrator Administrator

I remember that game too, STL FAN. He may not have had the most talent in the league, but noone out fought him. His death was shocking and tragic, and a big loss to the Cardinals as a person and a pitching competitor.
    Last edited by jimmcg; 06-22-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    Expecting Good Things to Happen in 2014!

Sponsor of pitcher Shelby Miller and outfielder Oscar Taveras

2006 & 2011 WS Champs! Full Member Swampturkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STL FANATIC View Post
    What I do recall is that DK took the ball for the Cardinals this fifth day, as he always did. Whatever the inning or the situation, a line drive was hit by the batter, striking Kile in the head or face (I believe). Kile dropped to his knees immediately, but momentarily shook it off, found and crawled to the ball, threw the batter out from his knees. Then, only after he had done his job for the team, did collapse back down and allow the pain to effect him.

He was the ultimate teammate and the ultimate warrior.
    It was against the Cubs at Wrigley in 2001 I believe. I remember it well.

My favorite DK memory was having the chance to meet and talk to him for nearly 45 minutes at the 2000 WWup. He had just come to the Cardinals and back then, autograph lines were not that long at the WWup. His emptied out after about an hour but he still had to sit there for another hour in case anyone else had a ticket for him. I went and stood next to his table and after a few shy moments, was finally able to talk to him. After a fan had taken his picture, I asked him if it was weird having strangers in his face taking his picture. He said that it was at first, but he was used to it now. Then I mentioned how I was addicted to Cardinals baseball, ha ha and he looked at me seriously and asked me why. All I remember saying was that I didn't know, I just loved it. All during that hour he kept talking about these chocolate chip cookies that Versey would be bringing him when he came for his autograph session. Seriously, he talked about those cookies during the whole 45 minutes. Finally, Veres shows up with a plate full of cookies. What did DK do? Offered me the first one. I accepted and thanked him. His autograph time was just about up so he stood up and shook my hand before leaving. He even gave me a free autograph.

I cherish that memory.

To those wh o didn't see it when I posted it last year, Flynn Kile has found happiness again and has remarried. Good to hear, but there's always that little voice in my mind that can't stop thinking that it's "Darryl's family".

2011 = Best finish to a season I have ever seen. Way to go Cardinals!!